My family is funny. After last year’s Thanksgiving, we realized that everyone filled up on appetizers and didn’t have room for the main course. So we said “next year we’ll just do antipasti”. You know, some Italian meats and cheeses and call it a day. Well, this is what ended up happening!
Yes, that is a dining table COMPLETELY COVERED in Italian deliciousness! So much for not filling up on appetizers. Although it looks overwhelming, it’s actually really simple and such a great conversation starter. I highly recommend replacing dozens of small frozen appetizers or the usual dips with fresh delicatessens. Here is what you’ll need to get started:
- Start with a large surface such as a table or kitchen island
- Lay down parchment paper or aluminum foil to protect the surface
- Buy enough romaine and/or wide leaf green lettuce (no iceberg) to cover the surface. We bought a total of five bags for the photo above
- Get radicchio cups to hold your various antipasti items such as chickpeas, assorted olives, roasted red peppers, eggplant caponata, pepperoncini, marinated artichokes, marinated asparagus, and anchovies
- Cheese: 2lb block of provolone sliced thin and two large balls of fresh mozzarella
- Meat: 1lb of prosciutto, 1lb of capicola, 1lb of pepperoni, 1lb of Genoa salami and 1lb of soppressata
- Shrimp: 1lb of cocktail shrimp. You can get a Styrofoam tree (or whatever shape you prefer) from a craft store such as Michael’s. Cover the tree with endives and attach the shrimp using toothpicks.
I hope you try this one at your next holiday party. I guarantee that your guests will talk about it for years to come. Happy Holidays!